Purchasing good quality car mats is an essential aspect of vehicle safety to prevent mud, dirt, garbage and the foul smell within the car. However, using car mats with a lot of care for years is an art that few masters.
Do you want to know the art of keeping your car mat durable and the process of how to clean car mats to keep them new and shiny for a long time?
Well, it is hidden in how you wash and protect it.
No matter if you are using a rubber car mat, plastic car mat, fabric car mat, or any other 3D or nomad mats, we will explain you the best way to clean car mats gently with care, so you can give your car mat a brand new luxurious look and make it work for a long time.
Tools that you need to clean car mats-
- A vacuum cleaner
- Garden hose
- Laundry detergent
- Plastic tub
- Soft bristle brush
- A toothbrush
How to clean fabric car floor mats?
Fabric car mats are very dirt-catching, and dirt deeply embedded on its surface that sticks on the mat and goes with great difficulty. However, if you do it right and follow step-by-step instructions, you can wash fiber mats like a pro. While there is an option of carpet cleaning machines as well, however, these are not that effective to remove deep dirt and highly embedded stains.
Matter of fact is why to spend money on something that you can do yourself at home?
So, we recommend you washing your mats at home.
Hence, to start the cleaning process you required a vacuum cleaner, garden hose, laundry detergent, plastic tub, soft bristle brush, and a toothbrush as shown in the image above.
First, take your mat and bang it around a vertical pole (trunk of a tree or something like that, which is smooth). Doing so will dislodge a lot of dirt that is trapped at the bottom of the carpet fibers because the spray is only effective if you have clean mats with only a few dirty areas.
So here is a step-by-step guide
- First of all, vacuum the fiber car mat thoroughly with a regular household vacuum-cleaner or using a “spray can” on your mat.
- If you have some areas over the mat where grease is-stuck very hard, try to rub that area with full-strength detergent with the help of a toothbrush.
- Take the “garden hose” and soaked down all the mats to release any more dirt, which is deep down.
- Now put some water in the tub and add 2 tablespoons of liquid detergent in it.
- Once you have done that, pour the solution of water and laundry detergent over the mat.
- Take the brush and use it back and forth onto the mat fibers after a few minutes.
- Finally, rinse the car mat with fresh water and hang it on a tree to allow it to dry the entire day.
- Make sure the detergent you use doesn’t contain any bleaching agent.
- If you have stains of grease and anything very sticky which don’t go with the normal detergent, you can buy “mineral spirits” and apply it to dirty areas. Brake cleaning fluid contains Perchloroethylene, an ingredient in dry cleaning fluid is also recommended for cleaning fiber car mats as these are excellent for removing stains in flooring and upholstery. It easily cuts through grease and vapors away.
- We advise it to wear gloves when using any liquid detergent, as it can cause harm to your skin sometimes.
To better understand the cleaning process of fiber car mat better you can check this pictorial infographic below.
How to clean rubber/plastic car mats?
Cleaning rubber and plastic car mats is way easy as compare to washing fabric car mats. If you work in muddy areas, the best way to clean rubber car mats is with a simple pressure washer but if the car mat has very hard stains (i.e. grease, beverages, and sticky liquids), that don’t go easily then we advise you to follow the instructions below.
To take away all the mud, dirt, debris and many craps from on your car mat, all you need is a pressure washer, garden hose, soft brush, dirt cleaner, and a dryer as shown in the image above.
This technique applies to both rubber and plastic car mats.
- First of all, rinse the mat with the help of pressure washer on both of its sides.
- Spray the dirt cleaner or detergent and rub it with the help of a soft brush.
- Again rinse the mat with water and dry it with the vacuum cleaner.
- In case you want to give your car mat a shiny and brand fresh look, you can also use a “trim shiner” which is non-greasy to keep your mat look shine and brand new and to prevent slippery (this is optional).
- Try to use a soft brush to rub the car mat as the hard brush can cause scratches on the mat.
- Use a nongreasy/non-oily trim shiner which is having nonslippery properties.
Hope this guide was helpful to know how to clean car mats like a professional cleaner. All that you need to wash a car mat is your time, little efforts, and some easily accessible tools available at home, however, car mats also become old after so many cleaning and continues use after a certain period, so don’t hesitate to replace your old car mat with a new one.